Monday, January 31, 2011

God Still Answers Prayers

Issue 22                   [August 29, 2010]


A young man had been to Wednesday night Bible Study.  The Pastor had shared about listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice.  The young man couldn't help but wonder, "Does God still speak to people?" After service he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message.  Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways.

       It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray, "God, If you still speak to people speak to me.  I will listen.  I will do my best to obey."

       As he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk.  He shook his head and said out loud, "God is that you?" He didn't get a reply and started on toward home. But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk.  The young man thought about Samuel and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli.          


     "Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk”. It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience.  He could always use the milk. He stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home.

       As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge, "Turn down that street." This is crazy he thought and drove on past the intersection. Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh.

       Half jokingly, he said out loud, "Okay, God, I will". He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop. He pulled over to the curb and looked around.  He was in semi-commercial area of town.  It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the people were already in bed.

     Again, he sensed something, "Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street." The young man looked at the house.  It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat.” Lord, this is insane.  Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid." Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk. Finally, he opened the door, "Okay God, if this is you, I will go to the door and I will give them the milk.  If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay.  I want to be obedient.  I guess that will count for something, but if they don't answer right away, I am out of here."

     He walked across the street and rang the bell.  He could hear some noise inside.  A man's voice yelled out, "Who is it?  What do you want?" Then the door opened before the young man could get away.  The man was standing there in his jeans and T-shirt.  He looked like he had just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep. “What is it?" The young man thrust out the gallon of milk, "Here, I  brought this to you." The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway speaking loudly in Spanish.  Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen.  The man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying.  The man had tears streaming down his face.  The man began speaking and half-crying, "We were just praying.  We had some big bills this month and we ran out of money.  We didn't have any milk for our baby.  I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk." His wife in the kitchen yelled out, "I ask him to send an Angel with some.  Are you an Angel?"

       The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put in the man's hand.  He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were streaming down his face.  He knew that God still answers prayers.

       This is a story I found as I was perusing thru my library (you like that word, perusing?)and I had to sit down and begin to write. I have had this in my collection for over 12 years now and it touches my heart every time I read it.

       See, we don’t have to anybody special and we don’t even have to be an anointed man of God to be used. There are people out there in the world in need and if we are praying people, then God will hear our cry. If you ask God to be a help to people, and you are willing to obedient then God can use you.

       Just as this young man found out, it may feel weird or sound crazy at first but if it is God asking you to do something for him then do it and question not. When you get to the end of your task, it will all come to light and you will understand. Remember that Gods ways are not our ways.


   There is a scripture (Isaiah 43:13) in the Bible that says "I will work, who shall let it?" The field is white and ready for harvest but the labors are few. In the world of selfishness, greed, personal gain, corruption and evil inventions on every hand, it doesn't take much to simply stop what your doing in your life, take a deep breath, listen for that still small voice and you too can be of benefit to someone today.

     God will NEVER ask or send you to do a task with which he won't provide the tools and the surety of being able to complete it. What you give in self-LESS-ness God will repay you at least double. I have never heard of God not paying His debt. Matthew 10:42 "And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward."

    One of the greatest tools that Satan has, is to tear down our faith. If he can make you doubt God, or that God will let you down or he doesn't care for you, then his job is accomplished. Flesh has a self destruct program built inside of each and every one of us. We have to continually remind ourselves thru many avenues that God will answer our prayers and he WILL take care of us. Trust God, he'll NEVER fail!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Scripture For Your Basket:

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

John 16:23-24 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full

Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you

The Holy Bible, King James Version. Pradis CD-ROM Grand Rapids: Zondervan, © 1994.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Editors Comments:

     I heard a man say one time "God gets excited over them that get excited over HIM." If we will put our flesh to the side and spend more time trying to please him, then we will come out in our everyday life much better.
 
     I am an inquisitive man. Meaning, I am eager for knowledge and when something comes up I think about it until I have to study it out and know what it is. If we will study out the Bible and not just take someone's word for it, our life we be richly blessed.
 
     Don't just think you're right about what you live, but KNOW why you live it. Get a better understanding and when that wind begins to blow in your life, your roots will hold you firm and unmovable.
 
     I wish to thank each and everyone for all that you have done to contribute to the publishing of this newsletter. Getting it out to those who need a few words of faith. Please continue to pray that God will help me help you and others along the way. As long as I am breathing there is work for me to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are blessed by this newsletter, PLEASE sign up as a follower, it is FREE.
I welcome your comments or questions. I appreciate your input.