Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wine Into Water

Issue 18                [June 27, 2010]

     T. Graham Brown was a popular country music singer back in the 70’s and 80’s. He, as many others stars have done, got caught up in the scene of “Chemical Dependency”. His was alcohol and later down the road he turned his life around and wrote a gospel song about his experience. He called it Wine Into Water.

     As one who has survived dependency, I know the suffering that you go thru. Anyone who can say “I never drank, did drugs or cigarettes” has a testimony of unimaginable proportion. For those who have never had to face those demons, you truly have no idea how blessed you are.

     The payment you make, the scars you take with you, is not only physical but mental and emotional and the memories are there simmering in the back of your mind. They are there to remind you and torment you of the things you did and the torment you put others thru.

     I have a friend who has been dear to me over the past 10 plus years. He has known the revelation of truth and yet walked away. He is ,to this day, one of “the untouchables.” I have done all I could to coax him back to the house of God, but to no avail. Learning to let go is a heart battle, I mean a hard battle. I guess a little bit of both (Freudian slip).

     Many times we walk thru life and come across a beggar on the street, or a prostitute on the corner, or a meth-head in Wal-Mart. They are dirty, maybe smell, hair undone, eyes sunk in, skinny and malnourished, and we walk on by them hoping they don’t ask us for anything. We may even ask God to send someone by their way (as long as its not us). All they need is for someone to walk by and give them a little bit of sunshine. A kind word, a smile, just a simple Hello and maybe develop a repore (relationship). Maybe you can give them an invitation card to your church. You don’t have to preach to them, or tell them the requirements to live for God, just simply invite them and walk away. That maybe all they are looking for. Please don’t judge a soul by its cover.

     These are people that made the decision to get into chemicals but they may not have had much to keep them from turning to it. Please don’t judge because they are what they are. Atmosphere and surroundings, and home life play a significant role in who we become. If they grow up around it they may not know any other way. If we were to grow up in Germany in 1925 thru 1940, then we may have become swayed by the charismatic man coming to power whom the world knows as Adolph Hitler, who’s to say?! Be thankful if you have a good Christian family that takes you to church. Many do not have such a luxury.

     I am sure if you ask them if they wanted to be a junkie when they grew up, none of them would say yes?! I am not saying they are totally innocent, but don’t crucify them because they are not the same as you. Many times we can get caught up into a downward slide and not know how to get out, so we keep sliding even farther until one day we reach the bottom and have no hope of climbing out. All some of them need is for someone to come by and throw out a lifeline, they may not trust in the line too quickly, so don’t despair if at first you don’t succeed.

     I am so thankful that someone thought enough to toss me a lifeline and invite me to church. Actually I was dating a lady who graduated with this particular church couple. If I had not been with that lady in Hardees in Parsons, Tn. that day, who knows where I might be, but to this day I am still thankful to Bro Charlie & Sis Joy Hicks for the invitation. I am, in part, who I am today because of them.

     There are consequences for our actions. (Because of the chemicals) Sometimes I have a really hard time keeping my train of thought in carrying on a conversation. There are times I still have a nervous twitch and my mind is kinda cluttered. I am one of the ones who come out alive. I have known some who are still wrapped up in dope and there are those who went overboard who will never come back to reality. Their mind is burnt and spent and a logical thought process is out of the question for them. There are others who lost their homes, family, children, cars, trucks, friends, jobs and so on.

     I wish God would give me the ability to paint a portrait for each one of you to see the devastation. To be able to feel the pain and anguish and the heartache of those who are lost out there in a world of dependency and many will never make it to safety, but will die and go to a devils Hell. If I could, I would paint the portrait in hopes of deterring others (especially the kids) from ever walking near those demons. For them to know that there is no such thing as “just a taste and walk away.” There is no such thing as just a little sin. You can NOT control it, no matter what Satan tells you. You will get caught up in a vortex of sin and you will find yourself swept away far, far from the shore.

     I remember when I was under conviction in 2005. I knew what I needed to do, and I was so much in shambles. I was looking for an Apostolic church with good standards and yet this beast had such a hold on me. I knew what was going on, God knew what was going on, and Satan knew what was going on. He was working overtime in not letting me get back to the house of God. I would listen to this song over and over and over. I would get so angry and yet so discouraged in myself. What I should do, Why I didn’t do it, Who to blame, why blame anyone, why should I give up, why has it taken me so long, I wouldn’t be here if I’d been man enough to hold on, and so on, and on.

     Many people think that it is so easy just to wake up and say “I think I’m not going to be a junkie, alcoholic, etc… anymore.” It has to be the hand of God that reaches down and helps you. Don’t get me wrong, it is the individuals responsibility to give up the habit, but it is God that gives you the strength to kick the habit (what ever it may be).

     We ALL have our weaknesses. What you may never have a problem with, will be the one thing that your brother/sister may have trouble giving up. Remember what may not get you, may get the next person. It is always easy to speculate what you would do in their situation but until you walk a mile in a mans shoes, don’t be so ready to pull the mote from their eye. Have more compassion towards your fellow man.

     It may not even be a “dependency” problem that someone has. If the scripture is hid it is hid to them that are lost. Big sins are not the only thing that will send a soul to Hell. Their problem may be doctrinal issues, holiness living, giving up TV and movies, and so on. Prayer for them is sometimes the only way to reach them. We can invite and live it in front of them but until they SEE it for themselves, they are lost. Its not until they walk down the road to Damascus that their eyes may be opened.

     In closing, be thankful if you've never had a dependency problem. If you have and are free, be thankful and never forget where God brought you from and where you could have been. If you are sitting on an Apostolic pew and you've been filled with the Holy-Ghost, be ever so thankful.

     Next time you walk thru town and see someone not exactly like you, don't walk to the other side of the street to avoid them, instead make sure to walk by with a "compassionate" smile, a "Godly" attitude, and maybe even try saying Good morning, good day, or God Bless. You never know, the life you encourage may be at a crossroads, and may be hours from eternity and your act of un-selfish kindness may tip the scales in a heavenly direction for them.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Song For Your Basket:
You’ve heard a multitude of prayers on my behalf
I pray one more is not too much to ask
I’ve tried to fight this battle by myself
But it’s a war I can’t win without your help
Chorus:
Tonight I’m as low as any man can go
I’m down and I can’t fall much farther
Once upon a time you turned the water into wine
I’m on my knees and turning to you Father
Would you help me turn the wine back into water
So many times I’ve hurt the ones I loved
I pushed them to the edge of giving up
They stood by me but how much can they stand
If I don’t put this bottle in your hands
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Editors Comments:
     I hope that I was able to stir up your mind to more Heavenly thinking, and maybe helped you gain more of a "healthy" spirit.

     I don't ask a dime from anyone for financial support (though I am thankful for those who contribute). The greatest payment I could ever receive is knowing that what I wrote has blessed you in some form or fashion.

     If I have ever helped you in any way, or these writings have touched someone you know, please contact me and let me know, I'd LOVE to hear from you. Its always good to know that what you're doing is making a difference in someone's life.

     Sometimes the greatest treasures are those from the Heart!!! Thank you & God Bless!

Wine Into Water

Wine Into Water

1 comment:

  1. A very stirring message that I want to keep in mind as I see others struggling. Keep up the great work of writing for Jesus! JWN

    ReplyDelete

If you are blessed by this newsletter, PLEASE sign up as a follower, it is FREE.
I welcome your comments or questions. I appreciate your input.